Thursday, May 3, 2012

Decorative Pillows (24" x 24")

$36.50

I have been desperately needing to decorate my house.  Because I live alone, I can do whatever I want to the place, but since I play the bills alone, I can't really afford to decorate it.  To camouflage my hand-me-down couch from my bachelor uncle, I set out on my lunch break yesterday to buy fabric for some throw pillows.   With coupons to Jo-Anns, I bought two 24" by 24" pillow forms and 2 yards of home decor fabric.  I chose this modern print with white, black & chartreuse colors called "Making Waves" by Waverly.  
I followed the "Craft Gemini Tutorials" video on YouTube to learn how to make an envelope pillow case.   This is a simple way to make a pillow cover with a hidden opening so you can change out the fabric easily.  If I wasn't busy talking on the phone or watching Netflix all night, I could have finished the project in under 90 minutes.  
I honestly have no constructive criticism for this pattern.   If you follow the simple mathematical formula and the maybe 5 steps it takes to make, your pillows will turn out nearly perfect.  It's a better alternative to store bought pillows because (1) those pillows are $30 a piece while mine were a little over $15 each, (2) you can make them LARGE which is a much more expensive look and (3) you can change out the pillow cover when you redecorate and you don't need to buy new pillows.  

No comments:

Post a Comment