Saturday, April 21, 2012

D.I.M. The Tent Dress

In an effort to save money, make wearable clothes & tackle the DIY blogs on the Internet, I dove into the "Simple Cotton Top" project from the girls of A Beautiful Mess.   Their instructions were incredibly simple and easy to follow. The patternless-pattern called for simple width and height measurements and a couple yards of fabric.  I liked the fabric I chose for the projects so much that I just added length to the tops and created dresses for Spring. Super cheap.  Super easy.  My experience:

1.  The maxi dress. 
I used a fabric with a bit of stretch to it.   Although it is harder to work with than 100% cotton, the fabric hangs beautifully and feels so much softer.   I made the shorter dress first and discovered that I cut the fabric too wide (25 inches) so I made the maxi a little bit thinner.  Small mistake.  Once I completed the dress and tried to walk in it,  I had to do the Geisha-shuffle since the opening was too narrow.  I would follow ABM's instructions regarding the width (take half of hip measurement and add 5-8 inches) with the full-length version.  You could also add side slits.  Also, I lined the entire dress since it was a bit sheer.  This created a nice weight to it so the dress didn't move too much around the bust line.  I was able to leave the arm holes long to make the cut more interesting and sexy.   

2.  The short dress.
I used a stiff batik fabric for this dress.  As I previously mentioned,  I had a little too much fabric so I would aim for a more narrow cut.   This dress was so easy and simple to make since I didn't line it.   It was initially33.5 inches long but I ended up hemming it.   In the end, it was a cute short dress that was about 30 inches long (or shorter).   

Paired with cool sandals and a ton of bracelets, you can avoid the "pillow case dress" look that is really popular for toddlers.  I might try some different variations with ribbon as straps or perhaps a halter.  We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment